Today I finished my woven pot project. I haven't done much weaving but it was kind of relaxing once I got into a groove. (It was the perfect TV watching project).
To recap, I started with a pot that I painted a creamy yellow. Then I used an all purpose craft glue to attach some of my favorite ribbons onto the bottom of the pot.
My first idea was to weave wide ribbon around the pot too- but soon realized I couldn't get the ribbon to lay flat on the tapered shape of the pot.
After experimenting with a few different ribbons and strings I settled on using jute. Which turns out made this look so much more like a basket (which is what I wanted) than my original idea.
I continued weaving the jute over and under the ribbon, pulling it tight and adding a tiny dot of hot glue every so often.
Marking my starting point ribbon by putting a small arrow on the bottom of the pot helped me keep track of each round. (So glad I did that!)
I only glued the jute down when I was going under a ribbon, never over, and I tried to keep the glue off the ribbon so I could pull it left and right to straighten it as I wove.
I also kept turing the glue gun on and off so the glue was warm instead of hot. There were two advantages to that:
1. The glue was easier to control- I only used the tiniest possible dot of glue (about the size of a round plastic head on a pin). To do that the glue can't be so warm that it oozes out of the gun like hot glue usually does.
And 2. No hot glue burns- not even one!
So I wove,
and wove... and wove some more.
But when I was done- the clay pot was totally transformed.
I'm pleased with the way it ended up and with some more experimenting I think I could get a bunch of different results using the same basic idea.